Marine’s family to sue Sons of Boston bar after bouncer allegedly stabs veteran to death
The family of the slain Navy veteran who a Boston bouncer allegedly stabbed to death outside a city bar is preparing to sue that pub, his attorney said Thursday.
Alvaro Larrama, a 39-year-old father of four from East Boston, is charged with stabbing 23-year-old US Navy veteran Daniel Martinez to death outside Sons of Boston after the couple is apparently confronted.
Larrama, who worked as a bouncer at the bar, pleaded not guilty to murdering Martinez, who was in town from Illinois and celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with a Marine Corps pal.
The Martinez family on Thursday – “in light of this preventable tragedy” – announced that they would file a civil lawsuit in Suffolk County Superior Court against Sons of Boston.
“After reading everything that has come out over the past 10 to 12 days, we are most certainly troubled,” attorney Thomas Flaws said at a news conference in Chicago. He noted that the bar lost its entertainment license following the fatal stabbing – and the city said the bar allowed a man to open the door with a weapon without having a license to do so.
“The city alleges that after the stabbing, the bar did nothing to call for help for Daniel, or to catch the person who stabbed him,” Altman attorney Nussbaum Shunnarah added. Trial Attorneys. “It has been reported that the assailant was allowed to re-enter the bar, clean up his blood and escape through the back door. These shocking allegations warrant, in fact demand, further investigation.
Once Martinez’s estate is finalized, the family will file a civil lawsuit against the bar.
“This lawsuit will allow us to fully investigate whether the bar could have prevented this incident,” Flaws said, adding later, “The lawsuit will give us the power to subpoena and require Sons of Boston to be transparent and hand over everything they have about this horrible incident.
“We’re going to get to the bottom of it,” the lawyer said. “And we will do everything we can to make sure this kind of thing never happens again by understanding how Daniel Martinez’s life could have been lost on a beautiful Saturday night before the sun even set.”
Martinez and his friend went to the Sons of Boston pub on Union Street, spending time inside the bar without incident. They then left and apparently waited in line to return to the bar.
As they waited in line, Martinez and the bouncer appeared to get into a confrontation, according to video obtained by police. Martinez then started to walk away and Larrama reportedly chased after him. The bouncer is accused of then attacking Martinez and stabbing him to death.
Larrama entered the bar after being stabbed, washed his hands and turned his shirt upside down. The bouncer then left the pub through the back door.
The city last week revoked the entertainment license for Sons of Boston, saying the watering hole did not have the required “safety and operations plan” when the fatal incident occurred.
If the bar wants the license back, they must submit a plan, including a discussion of safety training, procedures for interacting with customers and de-escalation and “training on cooperation with the police investigation”.
Sons of Boston could not immediately be reached for comment.
Comments are closed.