Second degree murder charge for fatal stabbing outside Victoria bar
A man has been charged in connection with a fatal stabbing that took place outside the Lucky Bar in Victoria earlier this month.
Mohamed Daud Omar is facing a second degree murder charge in the March 1 stabbing attack that left another dead.
The attack happened just before 1:30 a.m. outside the popular bar in the 500 block of Yates Street. According to police, when they arrived at the scene, they found a man with life-threatening injuries who later died in hospital.
The family have since identified the victim online as John Dickinson, 30, who had moved to Victoria from St. Catherine’s, Ontario.
“My world changed that day, forever,” John’s sister Jasmine Bauer told CHEK News. “He was a clubber, he liked to go dancing and he liked to have fun…but he was not a fighter. He got along with everyone. »
Omar was arrested around 2 a.m. and taken into custody.
At the time of the assault, Omar was out on bail on charges of attempted murder, assault with a weapon, assault causing bodily harm, threatening to kill or cause bodily harm and aggravated assault.
The charges related to a Feb. 6 stabbing on Lang Street in Victoria that left a victim with what police called “life-changing” injuries, with police saying one of those gunshot wounds white was on the face of the victim.
The conditions of his release included orders not to use alcohol or drugs, not to possess a weapon and to observe an 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew.
“It challenges the justice system,” Bauer said. “Because if they hadn’t released him on bail, my brother would still be alive.”
The British Columbia Crown told CHEK News in a statement that Omar’s Crown attorney and defense attorney agreed to the terms of his release.
“The decision to consent to the accused’s release was based on a reasoned assessment of all relevant circumstances of the offense and the accused’s personal circumstances,” said Dan McLaughlin.
Meanwhile, the family were surprised to learn of the accusations from CHEK News and feel they have been kept in the dark.
“We have had very few updates from the police department. We haven’t been kept informed of anything, which is heartbreaking,” Bauer said.
Victoria Police were unable to respond to CHEK News by the deadline.
Today’s second degree murder charge, however, offers John’s family some relief.
“I’m just grateful. Glad that charges were finally laid. It was really difficult without news,” Bauer said.
Thanks to a Go Fund Me, John’s family managed to raise the money to return his body to his mother on March 21.
A celebration of life will be held in Ontario at a later date.
“It’s so hurtful that he’s gone. He showed me what a true gentleman is. He is so loved and missed,” John’s girlfriend Aly Bitze told CHEK News in a statement. .
“The world truly lost a special human being that night of March 1,” Bauer said.
Omar has remained in custody since the fatal March 1 stabbing attack and was due to appear in court later on Tuesday.
His first court appearance for the February 6 assault will be on Thursday.
None of the allegations against Omar have been proven or tested in court.
Editorial policies Report an error