Coober Pedy karaoke bar trio sent back to NSW after court

0

Three NSW comrades were arrested and fined at a karaoke bar in South Australia after using their own plane to cross the border.

A trio from NSW have been charged with flying their own plane in South Australia, after being denied entry into the Northern Territory.

Friends Amelia Johnson, 39, Elizabeth Nichols, 21, and Thomas St Hill, 27, were arrested at a bowling club in Coober Pedy after South Australia closed the border to residents of New Brunswick. South Wales.

It is understood that the trio landed a day after South Australia closed its border with New South Wales amid the growing Covid-19 epidemic in Sydney.

Prime Minister Steven Marshall closed his border with NSW last week after the number of Covid cases started to climb.

According to the ABC, the trio have reportedly landed at Coober Pedy twice in violation of the strict border closure that went into effect last Wednesday.

Their Cessna plane left NSW last Thursday, a day after the closure was announced, and they documented the trip on social media.

ABC reports that the trio traveled to Coober Pedy and then to the Northern Territory on Friday, where they flew over Uluru. They were forced to turn around after an attempted landing in the Northern Territory was refused because they were coming from NSW.

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens criticized their behavior, after their arrest at the United Bowls Club during Friday karaoke just after midnight.

“Throughout our response, we have seen cases of people who have sought to undermine our border protections and we have taken strict action against these people,” he said.

“These three people are no different.

“And they created a brief scare… one of the group members initially tested positive for Covid. Fortunately, this was a false reading.

According to reports, none have pleaded guilty and all have been released on $ 500 bail and ordered to leave the state.

Mr St Hill told the CBA he and his traveling companions didn’t realize they were doing anything wrong, but accepted the accusations.

“There is a lot of confusion around Covid right now,” he said.

“We tested negative… at the end of the day everyone is safe and we haven’t impacted anyone negatively.

“The local communities there are vulnerable and we are out of there now and that is what it is.

“If we had known we were doing the wrong thing, we would have gotten out of this right away. “

The trio will not appear in person in court. Instead, the hearing will be held by telephone in August.

Read related topics:Adelaide


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.